BTEC Level 2 Health and Social Care

Course Rationale
The Edexcel BTEC Level 2 Tech Award in Health and Social Care has been developed to provide an engaging introduction to the sector for learners aged 14 years and above. The course is ideal for anybody seeking to pursue a career within the health and social care sector or develop their understanding further.

The course aims to:

  • Give learners the opportunity to gain a broad understanding and knowledge of the health and social care sector.
  • Give learners the opportunity to develop a range of personal skills and techniques, through the selection of units that are essential for successful performance in working life.
  • Give opportunities for learners to achieve a nationally recognised level 1/level 2 health and social care qualification.

Course Outline
Students will have to complete three core mandatory units. 60% of the course is internally assessed with assignments, the remaining 40% is assessed externally in a written examination at the end of year 11. Students will gain an insight into various sectors, investigating the role of many practitioners and the care given. There is also a detailed insight into specific needs of individuals ranging from birth to later adulthood. This is an ideal course for those interested in pursuing a career working with others or for anyone that is interested in further their knowledge of Health and Social Care.

Overall Grading: Pass, Merit or Distinction, Unclassified.

Component 1Human Lifespan DevelopmentAssessed Internally- Coursework
Component 2Health and Social Care Services and ValuesAssessed Internally- Coursework
Component 3Health and WellbeingAssessed Externally- Written Examination

Contact: Mr Whitehouse or Mrs Gill-Smith, Faculty Leaders for Social Sciences