As a school we ask that students achieve at least 96% attendance. We recognise that for some this may be a challenging target, therefore we will provide additional support to students and their families to encourage excellent attendance (please see our Attendance Policy to view our intervention strategy for students).
If your child is absent from school due to illness, you must notify the school each day before 8.30am, this will avoid you receiving a truancy call. Please complete the Same Day Absence Form below.
Attendance Matters – The Main Principles
- There is a direct link between attendance and attainment at school. The Arthur Terry School is therefore committed to working with parents and carers to ensure all students achieve as high a level of attendance as possible. Students are set a target of achieving at least 96% attendance.
- Parents/Carers have a legal responsibility to ensure that children of compulsory school age attend school regularly. Students should be at school, on time, every day the school is open, unless the reason for the absence is unavoidable.
Students are expected to arrive on time every day to school by 8.45am for registration.
The morning register will be taken at 8:50am after the second bell. Any students who arrive after this time will be coded as L and will be issued with a same day 30-minute detention.
Students who arrive after 9:10am will need to enter school through reception and speak directly to the Attendance Officer. The student will be marked as U (Late) and this absence will be marked as unauthorised.
If your child is absent from school due to illness, you must notify the school each day before 8.30am, this will avoid you receiving a truancy call.
Please click the link below to report a “same day” absence such as illness. Parents will need to notify school for each day of absence due to illness using this link.
Report a same day absence
Where possible, parents are required to arrange appointments outside of school hours, e.g. dentist, doctor.
If this is not possible, parents should notify the Attendance Team prior to the appointment by emailing email@example.com or for 6th form students please email firstname.lastname@example.org
When emailing the attendance team please include any appropriate evidence to support the absence such as:
- Medical appointment card with one appointment entered
- An appointment letter from a professional such as a hospital Consultant or Psychologist
- Print screen of a text message appointment
If evidence is not provided, then the absence may be marked as unauthorised until evidence is provided.
Our Attendance Policy contains important information regarding attendance at the intervention steps we provide to support students with their attendance.